Hi there lovely readers! In the region where I am from in Switzerland, we have a famous cake that is called “Blackforest”. It’s usually a layered cake, assembled from chocolate biscuit, whipped cream, cherry jam and a hint of cherry liquor. Yep, not very “superfoodie”, but gosh, so good! It was my favorite cake when I grew up (the kid’s friendly version though, without the alcohol of course! 😉 )
This breakfast parfait (or it can also be eaten as snack) is inspired by this iconic dessert. It comes with similar elements, something creamy and white, chocolate and cherries! But yes, it’s definitely a healthier version than the cake, but it’s so tasty, you won’t even miss the cake!
In order to put this parfait together, I made a small batch of chocolate granola. It’s been a while since I made home-made granola, but really, it’s the best you can make, so much fresher than the store-bought one! And with chocolate, it just becomes extra indulgent! I used raw cacao to make the granola, so definitely another Superfood!
This delicious parfait contains following Superfoods:
- Greek Yogurt
- Flax seeds
It’s definitely a perfect morning treat, during the week or on the weekend! Enjoy! Wish you a great weekend!
- For the chocolate granola:
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 4 tbsp buckwheat groats
- 2 tbsp ground flax seeds
- ¼ cup coconut oil (liquid, heat in hot water bath if ncessary)
- ¼ cup agave syrup
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp raw cacao powder
- For the parfait:
- 1 cup greek yogurt
- Thawed frozen cherries or fresh ones, cut into small pieces
- Combine all ingredients for the granola until well mixed and cacao is evenly coating all the grains
- Put granola mix on a baking tray that is layered with parchment paper
- Bake at 325° F (=180° C) for about 25 minutes, stirring occasionally, so granola doesn't burn (it's really hard to tell with this granola if it's done or not, as it is really dark, so in doubt, I would bake rather less than more)
- Take a glass and carefully fill the layers: Greek yogurt, cherries, granola, repeat until you reach top of the glass
- Enjoy for breakfast or a healthy, fruity, indulgent snack!