An Ode to Peppermint: Mint patties and other minty treats

The other day, I came across a really interesting link about the health benefits of herbs. There were various herbsΒ listed and it was incredible to see how all of them have great health benefits for you (unfortunately, I forgot to save it!). It reminded me of ancient healing methods, where natural herbs were widely used. And in Chinese medicine, herbs still play such a significant role. So since herbs can also be considered as Superfoods, I would like to write about one of them today πŸ˜‰

I simply LOVE herbs in my cooking. I always have a small basil plant on my balcony, and most of the time some fresh cilantro and mint in my kitchen. Sometimes, I also chop them up and freeze them, mainlyΒ parsley, so I always have someΒ ready to put into soup for example. Frozen herbsΒ may be less suitable for salad, but for soup they are perfectly fine. I try to buy them organic, because I find it hard to wash them thoroughly. So a few days a go, I bought a gorgeous bunch of fresh organic Peppermint at my Wholefoods store and wanted to share with you some peppermint creations that came out of that! πŸ˜‰ They are based on existing recipe ideas which I just tweaked a bit. Here is by the way a link speaking to the various health benefits of peppermint!

Peppermint

Mint Patties or After-eight

This is a super easy to make and clean alternatives to your commercially bought mint patties, or for the Europeans among you, you might know “After Eight”, the minty chocolate? I used to love them so much, so I am glad to have found a way to create a clean (and by the way also vegan!) version of them. This recipe is based on my Home-made Chocolate Cups recipe.

Recipe

• To make these, just place a can of coconut milk in the fridge for abut 24hrs, the cream will thicken on top, scoop it out and mix this cream with some drops of peppermint oil and maple syrup
  • For the chocolate mix 1/2 cup cacao, 1/4 cup coconut oil and 2 tbsp maple syrup
  • Use muffin paper forms to pour in the layers, first a layer of chocolate, put into the freezer for about 10 minutes to harden
  • Take out from freezer and add the coconut layer, freeze again
  • Lastly add the final chocolate layer
  • Thaw briefly before serving πŸ˜‰

After-Eight

Raw Vegan Mint Cheesecakes

These are based off my recipe for Raw Vegan Mini-Cheesecakes, I just gave them a minty touch.

Recipe (for 2 pieces)

• For the bottom layer blend 2 tbsp walnuts, 4 – 5 medjol dates, 1 tbsp cacao – put into a paper muffin form, press down carefully
  • For the mint filling blend 1/2 cup soaked cashew nuts, 2 tbsp coconut cream, 1 tbsp maple syrup, 1/2 teaspoon peppermint oil, 1/2 teaspoon wheatgrass powder (or matcha green tea powder – both don’t give much taste, just the color!) – add on top of the bottom layer, put briefly into freezer to harden
  • For the chocolate topping mix 1 tbsp coconut oil, 2 tbsp cacao powder and 1/2 tbsp maple syrup, pour over the mint filling, put back into freezer until ready to serve, thaw briefly before eating

Mint-Cheesecakes

Watermelon-MintΒ Refreshment

This is a recipe inspired by a restaurant Mr. Superfoodista and me love to go.

Recipe

• Take 1/2 handful of fresh watermelon pieces, a few fresh mint leaves and 4 – 5 cubes of ice, put into a shaker and shake vigorously, you will see the watermelon juice coming out of the pieces
  • Pour into a glass, add 1 – 2 drops of rose essence, fill up the glass with cold, sparkling water, add some more ice if needed
  • This is a super refreshing drink for a hot day and also perfect for guests

Watermelon-Drink

Fresh Peppermint Tea

Lastly, an all-time classic and favorite for me that never gets old, soothing for an upset stomach too: Peppermint Tea. It tastes best when made with fresh mint leaves.

To make this, just pour the hot water over a couple of fresh mint leaves, let steep for about 5 minutes and enjoy!

Mint-Tea

I hope I could inspire you a bit to use more herbs (peppermint) in your cooking. I am also curious – which one is your favorite herb for use in the kitchen and for other purposes? Please share! πŸ˜‰

Have a lovely weekend!

Comments

• Sylvia @superfoodista.com says

Thank you so much dear Nicky! I am glad you liked the recipe! And thanks for your visit!! hugs, Sylvia

1. HotDish says

Hi there! I just wanted to let you know that I made a version of your after eights this morning with my 5-year-old son so he could give them to his diary, wheat, and sugar-free daddy for Father’s Day. :) I say a version because I noticed that my peppermint oil is not for consumption, so I substituted it for vanilla and called them chocolate and vanilla sandwiches. He loved them SOOO much and just told me he can stop thinking about the rest of the box. πŸ˜‰ I do have one question though. I made the chocolate mixture according to your instructions and it was a thick paste that I was unable to pour. I added a tiny bit of macadamia nut oil to make it more spreadable, but just a tiny bit as I wanted to make sure it hardened. It was extremely delicious, but it didn’t look quite as I had expected (as I had to mold it with my fingers). Is it possible that you meant to write a quarter cup of the cocoa or maybe a half cup of the coconut oil in the recipe? Or perhaps my coconut oil is just thicker than yours? I’m wondering what your thoughts might be because I definitely want to make this delicious recipe again!! Thanks :)

• Sylvia @superfoodista.com says

Hey dear, thanks so much for your lovely comment and so excited that you made the chocolates this morning!! πŸ˜‰ With vanilla sounds definitely divine as well – maybe almost like an oreo chocolate too? πŸ˜‰
      Anyways, about the recipe: Could it be that your coconut oil was room temperature and therefore rather solid? It is correct that you should use half the amount of coconut oil of what you use cacao powder, so it was correct, 1/4 coconut oil and 1/2 cacao. However, what you should do is before mixing is to make the coconut oil liquid. You can either put it into the microwave for 10 – 20 seconds, or if you are not a fan of microwave, in a bowl/ dish/ pan filled with hot water. Then you should get a great consistency to make the chocolate. And the texture is also good when you eat it, neither too dry nor to oily. Let me know if this helps! πŸ˜‰
      hugs, Sylvia

• HotDish says

I will definitely try that next time. :) Thanks so much!! It has literally been more than a year since my husband has had a chocolate, he is a very happy man today. πŸ˜‰

• Sylvia @superfoodista.com says

Thank you so much Allison for your kind comment and stopping by! Oh, I heard about the heat wave in CA – crazy! It’s not even that hot here in Miami πŸ˜‰ Yes, the watermelon-mint drink can definitely keep you cool. big hug & great to hear from you!

2. Shari says

Your pictures are beautiful, Sylvia! What a great reminder about using herbs. We are growing some herbs in our garden right now so it is fun to have easy access to them. Still, sometimes I forget to use them. I think my favorite herb is basil, but I love the freshness they add to any dish.

• Sylvia @superfoodista.com says

Thank you so much Shari πŸ˜‰ Oh, you are so lucky to have a garden! I wish I had one, but the balcony has to do right now. I really love basil too, it’s so great for so many things. In fact, the watermelon drink that is featured in the post, I also made it with fresh basil leaves the other day, and it works too! πŸ˜‰ Thanks for stopping by! hugs, Sylvia

3. Selma's Table says

Hi Sylvia – I am co-hosting Angie’s FF15 with the lovely Jhuls this week – thank you for bringing such a delicious selection of minty treats – they will not last long around here, I can tell you! My favourite herb is rosemary – in fact, a very dear friend said that it is the smell of my cooking! I love using it with chicken, seafood, lamb, casseroles, braised, breads, rice, sauces…it can be very pungent depending on the time of year so I always chop a little first and judge by how strong it smells, the amount to add to the recipe…I also love, love, love holy basil! Lovely to “meet” you – I hope you get a chance to see what the other partygoers have brought to FF15!

• Sylvia @superfoodista.com says

Dear Selma, wow, thank you so much for your thoughtful and kind comment, loved to read from you! πŸ˜‰ And to hear about your favorite herb. Oh, I totally love rosemary too! Have you ever baked with it? I made a lemon-rosemary muffin once and it really pairs well, not too strange actually for sweet applications.
      Thank YOU for hosting this week’s FF, so great to have you as a host!! It sure was a big fun party as always! πŸ˜‰

4. Michelle says

I love this post! I’m a big fan of peppermint, especially when it’s paired with chocolate. I always keep peppermint tea on hand too, it’s great for an upset stomach and lovely and soothing just before bed. I definitely need to try making it fresh like this though (I use tea leaves when I can, but a lot of the time I have to settle for teabags)

I’m jealous of your herb plants. I’ve tried so many times to keep them but they just die, I have no idea what I do wrong, I’ve never had much of a green finger!

• Sylvia @superfoodista.com says

Thanks Michelle for stopping by and your kind comment! πŸ˜‰ Haha, I hear you about the herb plants….to be honest, I find that pretty challenging too, to keep my plants alive! πŸ˜‰ I forget to water them a lot, but they are really resilient. When I used to live closer to my mother, I would sometimes bring her my plants for “rehab” – she is incredible with plants, I think we would both be jealous of her herb plants! πŸ˜‰
      You should definitely try peppermint tea with fresh herbs – tastes so much more refreshing than the dried ones or tea bags.

5. afracooking says

As a kid I used to adore after eigths – we only ever had them in the house when my grandmother visited. But somewhere over the years I have become spoiled – processed foods just do not taste that good to me anymore. I loooove the idea of being able to make my own after eight mints. Such a fabulous idea!

• Sylvia @superfoodista.com says

Thank you so much Afra! πŸ˜‰ I agree, anything you can make from scratch with unprocessed ingredients just tastes better and is above all much better for you! Hope you can give those mints a try. Let me know how it goes. hugs, Sylvia

6. mademoisellegourmande says

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog. Yours is awesome, beautiful pictures and recipes!!
    I will have to make these treats for my brother one day. He absolutely loves after eight.. :) Thank you for sharing !

7. chefjulianna says

What a wonderful post, Sylvia! My fridge is always full of herbs and I can’t wait to use some of them on your recipes! Thanks so much for bringing these to the party! :-)

8. cheri says

I enjoy using fresh herbs when I cook but the one I hardly ever use is mint, great recipes and suggestions for this wonderful little herb.

• Sylvia @superfoodista.com says

Thank you so much Cheri! πŸ˜‰ I totally agree, fresh herbs are the best! I wish I had more herb plants at home, as the cut ones that I buy at the store get bad so fast and I therefore can never have too many of them at home. Thanks for stopping by!

9. Kayse says

All of these recipes look wonderful! Especially the Watermelon-Mint Refreshment. I love fresh herbs, especially basil.

10. www.ginabriganti.com says

My boyfriend is allergic to mint, so I won’t be able to indulge in these recipes :( It’s no fun to make something he can’t share with me. Your recipes look stunning. I can smell them from here.

We eat lots of garlic. We can prepare it so many ways and it feels great to eat.

• Sylvia @superfoodista.com says

Thanks so much for your comment dear πŸ˜‰ Oh no, I never heard of anyone being allergic to mint, but yes, I totally understand that you would want to avoid it in your cooking. My fiancΓ© is not allergic though to cilantro, he just despises it, but I love it so much. But I also never cook anything for us with cilantro in it, or I put it on the side, but sometimes it’s not the same πŸ˜‰ Thanks for stopping by! hugs

• www.ginabriganti.com says

Hugs for you as well. My daughter is allergic to cliantro. She works in a restaurant and trades duties with the other employees so that she doesn’t have to touch it. No matter what, everything is beautiful. We count the blessings.

11. Ngan R. says

Oh, delicious! Your mint patties, mini cheesecakes, and drinks all look so appetizing. I am a huge fan of mint patties! I would love to make these and wrap them in little foils to give as a treat (but they will probably melt, though (right?) so that might not work). My favorite herb to use is basil. It’s the smell that gets me – so fresh and intoxicating. However, your post just reminded me to use the mint in my fridge soon, and that mint peppermint tea is calling my name. Have a happy weekend, Sylvia!

• Sylvia @superfoodista.com says

Dear Ngan, thanks so much for your lovely comment! Yes, unfortunately, these mint patties are not that temperature stable, as the chocolate consists barely of coconut oil and cacao powder. But you could use regular black chocolate and melt it and that should be more stable πŸ˜‰
      Oh yes, I love Basil too!!! I love to add that to many dishes as well (like the scallions πŸ˜‰ By the way, I made the same watermelon drink with basil leaves one day and it tasted also really good!! hugs & enjoy the weekend!

12. Nancy says

You roped me in with the “mint patties”…but then… you offer delightful beverages, too? Delicious post, Sylvia! Thanks for opening my eyes to a few more uses of peppermint. :)

13. HotDish says

I love this post! What fun and delicious-sounding recipes! I always like hearing about different ways people use rose water – I love that stuff and using it as part of a refreshing watermelon drink sounds divine. I am totally going to make those After Eights. I loved those as a child but these look and sound so much better. Thanks for posting!