Savory “Carrot Cup Cake” and other Happy Easter treats

Hey there, it’s good Friday today and Easter Sunday is just around the corner. When I still used to live in Switzerland, Easter was kind of a big deal, also because we would get the days off between Good Friday and Easter Monday and people would usually go on some mini vacation in the Southern part of Switzerland or other neighboring countries. Or we would spend the time with the family, celebrating the origin of the Holiday and enjoy a good lunch together. Easter for me is also always connected to spring and the “rebirth” of nature, one of my favorite seasons!

Here in the US, it’s unfortunately not a public holiday, nevertheless it’s being celebrated and therefore, I wanted to post some small and fun Easter recipe ideas. Mr. Superfoodista and me are planning on going to a friend’s house on Sunday for some yummy lunch, but these recipes would all work perfectly for hosting guests or to treat yourself to a nice Easter feast ๐Ÿ˜‰

Sweet-Potato-Cup-Cake-in-cup

Savory Carrot Cup Cake

Don’t be fooled by the sweet appearance of these tiny treats – they are not sugary at all, but rather made of 100% healthy and savory ingredients!

Ingredients & Preparation:

• Mix ground walnuts and tomato paste so you get a sticky type of “dough”, press firmly into paper muffins forms as the bottom part
  • Mash up a cooked sweet potato, add some salt and pepper to season, add as second layer on top of the bottom
  • Lastly add a layer of Greek yogurt
  • Decorate with a mini carrot (you can carve it out of a regular carrot) and add a piece ofย cilantro leave as green

Sweet-Potato-Cup-Cake-cups Sweet-Potato-Cup-Cake-close-up

Sweet-Potato-Cup-Cake-from-top

Colorful home-made Chocolate Cups

The recipe for these is the same like the original recipe for home-made chocolate cups I posted a while back. I just used different ingredients to give the chocolates different colors: Raspberry pulp for pink, fresh, mashed mangoย for yellow, spinach for green and blackberryย pulp for purple! Don’t be scared of using spinach to color: as spinach has virtually no taste of its own, you won’t get any weird veggie taste or so in your chocolate ๐Ÿ˜‰

Rainbow-Chocolate

Colorful Deviled Eggs with Superfoods

Deviled eggs were a childhood favorite of mine, oh, so good! But back then, I used to make it the unhealthy way, with heeeaps of mayonnaise. My recipe for todayย is packedย with Superfoods – and Iย have different colors for you too! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Ingredients & Preparation:

• 3 Eggs, hard boiled and cut in half, remove the cooked egg yolkย from the halves and put into a bowl
  • For the yellow filling, mix the egg yolks with 2 tbsp of Greek yogurt
  • For the green filling make guacamole (ripe avocado, mashed and mixed with lime juice, salt, pepper, bit of cumin and fresh cilantro)
  • For the red filling, I made some beetroot hummus, following the recipe I posted a couple of months back
  • Fill 2 halves each with one of the three fillings, top withย Superfoods and herbs of your choice, for example: Chia seeds, hemp seeds, chopped sun-dried tomato, cilantro, etc.

Deviled-Eggs-1 Deviled-Eggs-2

Well, hope I could inspire some Easter and spring feelings with these ideas.

I wish you and your families a happy Easter celebration! Enjoy the weekend! ๐Ÿ˜‰

hugs, Sylvia

Comments

• Sylvia @superfoodista.com says

Thank you so much for your lovely comment! :-) So happy you are enjoying the blog and passed by! Just went over to your blog and really love it too! So many great ideas and lovely pictures!! We will be in touch :-) hugs

1. afracooking says

Oh these cupcakes are just so cute! And I love the devilled eggs. I have made eggs pink by pickling them with beetroot, but I have never thought about colouring the filing. Great idea!

• Sylvia @superfoodista.com says

Thank you so much Afra! Yum, that sounds cool, pickling with a beetroot! I love to use beetroot to give natural color to my food. When you leave the filling inside for a while, the egg starts to turn red too ๐Ÿ˜‰

2. laurasmess says

What a gorgeous post Sylvia! Oh my gosh! I love the look of the chocolate cups, the carrot cupcake, everything! The mini carrots you carved add a whole lot of charm to the dish. Hope that you had a beautiful Easter xx

3. Nancy says

Sylvia, this is one beautiful and delicious post. You have offered such an array of alternative and healthy foods to celebrate! I keep scrolling back up to determine which is my favorite and I honestly can’t! Thanks for sharing them :)

• Sylvia @superfoodista.com says

Thank you so much dear Hilda! ๐Ÿ˜‰ And you don’t even have to bake it…hehhee! ๐Ÿ˜‰ It’s not really a cup cake, but looks a lot like one, so I called it that way, it’s really yummy, the combination. big hug & Happy Easter!

• Sylvia @superfoodista.com says

Aw, thank you so much dear Patty! Means a lot coming from you, re the comment concerning the photography! ๐Ÿ˜‰ Yes, Mr. Superfoodista enjoys the perks of me trying out new things – although he doesn’t get to try everything, which makes him complain sometimes ๐Ÿ˜‰ Wish you a lovely weekend!! hugs

• Sylvia @superfoodista.com says

Hahaha Patty, love that! ๐Ÿ˜‰ I think our men are mostly the same when it comes to them trying our food or not. Well, your food just looks so amazing, definitely makes you feel you missed out on something if you don’t get to try it! ๐Ÿ˜‰ hugs

4. Ngan R. says

Hi Sylvia! I love your take on all these “treats.” Just from their presentation and looks, I know I wouldn’t miss the sugar at all. You are so inventive with the ingredients. Those savory carrot cups in particular had me doing a double take when I saw the almond mixed with tomato paste! I will have to try these for sure one day. And, Sylvia, I think every day should be a holiday. So we can all just relax and enjoy life. :)

• Sylvia @superfoodista.com says

Thank you so much Ngan! You are always so thoughtful and kind in your comments, I really enjoy reading them! ๐Ÿ˜‰ The good thing about these “cup cakes” is also that they require no baking! Super fast to whip up! ๐Ÿ˜‰ Yes, totally agree, we need more holidays, definitely! lol! HOpe you’re enjoying your weekend! hugs, Sylvia