Buckwheat Tacos with Refried Beans (frijoles) and various toppings

As I mentioned to you in an earlier post, I had to go to Mexico a few times lately for work. When I go on trips, I try to eat mostly local food and I love to get inspired by the local cuisine. What I realized in Mexico, that there was a lot of taco. Almost for every meal, we ordered some type of taco, so this dish is definitely inspired by my latest trips to Mexico πŸ˜‰

I tried to make a healthy Superfood version of tacos with a delicious and rich topping, while keeping some of the traditional elements of a typical Mexican taco meal, for example the green salsa and the pickled onions.

Buckwheat-Taco-1

These flavorful and nutritious tacos contain following 6 Superfoods:

• Buckwheat
  • Flax seeds
  • Beans
  • Avocado
  • Sweet Potato
  • Tomato

Ingredients: (for 3 small tacos = 1 portion)

• Taco: 1/2 cup buckwheat groats (finely ground with a blender), 1/3 – 1/2 cup of water, 1 tbsp ground flax seeds mixed with 2 tbsp water (mix and let sit for a few minutes)
  • Frijoles: 1 can pinto beans,Β 1 small onion (finely chopped), salt, pepper, 1tbsp olive oil (for frying)
  • Guacamole: avocado, lime juice, salt, peper, cilantro
  • Toppings: 1 small sweet potato (cooked and chopped into small cubes), 1/2 tomato, feta cheese (for non vegans)
  • Green Salsa: 1 habenero pepper, 1/2 tomato, 1 small onion, 1/2 lime juice, salt, cayenne pepper
  • Pickled onions: 2 small or 1 big red onion (cut into thin slices, let sit in red wine vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1 tbsp palm sugar overnight or if possible even 2 nights)
  • Cilantro leaves, finely chopped for topping
  • 1 jalapeΓ±o pepper, cut into slices
  • 1 – 2 tbsp olive oil to bake the tacos in the pan

Pinto-Beans Buckwheat-dough-for-taco

Taco-Filling

Preparation:

• Mix the ingredients for the tacos in a bowl, put the ground buckwheat groats in first, then add the flaxseeds and lastly the water, stirring, constantly until you have reached the desired consistency, the mix should be liquid, but gooey too
  • In a pan, heat up the oil, you can also make the tacos one by one, depending on size of your pan, just divide the oil then, it should just be a little so they don’t stick to the pan
  • Bake until crispy and brown on one side, then flip over, bake until the other side is crispy too
  • Put tacos on a plate
  • Now spread the frijoles (refried beans) on to them, then add a layer of guacamole
  • Add topping of your choice, in my example, I added sweet potato cubes, tomato cubes and also feta cheese
  • Then top all of them with the pickled onions, cilantro, a few slices of jalapeΓ±o pepper (or leave out if you don’t eat spicy) and finally some green salsa
  • Buon aprovecho! πŸ˜‰

Buckwheat-Taco-2 Buckwheat-Taco-3 Buckwheat-Taco-4 Buckwheat-Taco-5

I am also bringing this to this week’s Friesta FridayΒ over at the Novice Gardener! It’s a perfect dish to share at a party! Can’t wait to see what everyone else is going to bring along πŸ˜‰

Comments

1. MyKabulKitchen says

I had “authentic” Mexican food in California (the closest thing I have had to authentic) and I was surprised by how light and fresh everything I tried was, your pictures are making me hungry! This looks so easy and perfect for warm summer days (which we are anxiously awaiting in the East Coast…) Thanks for sharing :-)

• Sylvia @superfoodista.com says

Thank you so much πŸ˜‰ I can imagine the Mexican food in California can be quite close to the original. There are so many Mexicans living in California. I am glad you liked it, I especially love their use of herbs and spices, I am a big fan. Some of the dishes can be quite heavy, but the use of fresh ingredients definitely give them a very fresh and light touch.
      Thanks so much for stopping by! πŸ˜‰

• Sylvia @superfoodista.com says

Thank you so much Johnny! Yes, I would say I am lucky I got to go from time to time and also other places, although you always see less of a country than what you would like to. But as one always has to eat, there is always an opportunity at least to try the local food! :-) I hope to get to go there sometimes, maybe for a trip! Thanks for stopping by!

• Sylvia @superfoodista.com says

Thank you so much! :-) Yes, I tried to make a healthier version of the original, at least with the dough and the toppings. But there is no limit to your preferences for the toppings, you can add whatever ingredients you are enjoying. It’s definitely a comfort food, I agree – even “healthyfied” :-)

2. The Novice Gardener says

Once again, you’ve managed to come up with a unique, creative, uber-healthy recipe that looks mouthwateringly delectable, all while working and traveling. Sylvia, you are a wonder! Would it be wrong to put meat in these? Lol… maybe I won’t even miss it with such exciting ingredients! :-)

• Sylvia @superfoodista.com says

Hey Angie, thank you so much for your lovely words :-) Really, you make my day every time with them! Oh yes, you can absolutely add meat to them. In Mexico they serve them most of the time with some pulled beef or pork in a spicy sauce. I could also imagine that some shrimps would work well :-) hugs & thanks for stopping by!

3. Ngan R. says

Hi Sylvia! I love tacos and can eat them endlessly. We sometimes frequent a taco truck in San Francisco just so I can get my taco fix. I guarantee they do not have anything as healthy or good looking as yours! I really must just make my own one of these days—yours look so appetizing with all those colors. I love what you’ve done with your blog. The photography, as always, is so lovely, too. Have a great weekend. Hugs!

• Sylvia @superfoodista.com says

Thank you so much Ngan, your comment is really so sweet and I am so glad you liked the recipe!
      Yum, I love food truck food – I make an exception for them πŸ˜‰ We sometimes also have them on specific days in some of the neighborhoods or during events. Let me know if you get the chance to make some tacos, I would love to see your version! πŸ˜‰ hugs

4. milkandbun says

That’s great that you can travel to Mexico, work and try their cuisine! :)Your tacos are beautiful, lovely colors! And you made them more healthy-using buckwheat! :)

• Sylvia @superfoodista.com says

Thank you so much Julianna! πŸ˜‰ I have a made a lot of things with buckwheat lately, and I just thought they would work perfectly in tacos. I usually like to combine buckwheat with other, intense tasting ingredients, as they have quite a distinct taste. Thanks for stopping by! Sylvia

• Sylvia @superfoodista.com says

Thank you so much! πŸ˜‰ Yes, it’s a really super easy recipe, I also made buckwheat crΓͺpes in a similar way – I prefer buckwheat groats over the flour, I feel they are not that extremely nutty as the flour. Thanks for stopping by! πŸ˜‰

5. Patty Nguyen says

Homemade buckwheat tacos…you are amazing, Sylvia! The toppings look so fresh and inviting! I’m sitting here wondering how you manage such beautiful and creative posts while juggling work in Mexico…yet my commute is seven whole minutes and I still can’t find the time to cook and shoot! You must tell me your secrets, please! :)

• Sylvia @superfoodista.com says

Thank you so much dear Patty! πŸ˜‰ You are too sweet! Yes, indeed it’s been hard lately with the traveling and work to blog as much as I wanted. I set my goal to blog now fix once a week (I used to twice a week), this is something I can keep up with, this means one recipe on the weekend, sometimes I am also luckily to be able to work from home, so I use my lunch break to cook up a recipe (like this one actually). The thing is, I have not figured out how to take nice pictures at night, although I bought all the lighting, diffusion tent, etc…. lol πŸ˜‰ Then our day would have more hours for photography!!
      Well, I do admire you!! You blog really often and always such stunning photography – I know how much work goes behind that! I also wish like you my day had more hours… πŸ˜‰ Well, keep up the beautiful work, I am a big fan of yours! hugs, Sylvia

• Sylvia @superfoodista.com says

Thank you so much dear!! πŸ˜‰ I was just thinking, hm, what other superfood can I add to this dish and I thought the sweet potato would fit well, and it does, i find they fit to almost everything in fact! πŸ˜‰ hugs

• Sylvia @superfoodista.com says

Thank YOU so much for stopping by!! πŸ˜‰ Yes, there is no limit to the toppings, you can basically out whatever you like, in Mexico they also very often put some sort of shredded beef in them, etc. Thanks again! πŸ˜‰

6. Sofia // Papaya Pieces says

Hi Sylvia, what you say about eating local food, it reminded me of this one time I was in Poland in Warsaw for work, I asked the hotel where they recommended me to go out for dinner. They said oh that way there is a Greek restaurant, that way a Chinese, down that way a Japanese and over there an Italian restaurant. So I said: what about a restaurant with Polish food? And he just said: whatever do you want to eat Polish food for??? haha… Your taco meal looks gorgeous, I\m actually making something similar now :)