Sweet Potato Tater Tots with a Tahini Dressing topped Salad

If you have read several of my posts already, you might have realized that I am totally crazy about Sweet Potatoes!! I love them in all formats, baked, mashed, in a cake, etc. Normally, I eat up all my sweet potatoes, but one weekend, Β I had some left over and since I really try to avoid wasting food, I came up with this quick lunch idea. I made a healthy version of sweet potato tater tots – a popular fast food in the US πŸ˜‰ Typically, tater tots are fried, I baked them, and I also used quinoa flakes to make the mashed sweet potato stick together as quinoa flakes have a great characteristic of functioning as a “binder”.

Sweet-Potato-Tater-Tots-2

This delicious and quick meal contains following Superfoods:

• Sweet potatoes
  • Quinoa
  • Spinach
  • Pomegranate seeds

Ingredients (for about 5 tater tots = 1 small portion, perfect with some salad on the side)

• 1/2 cup cooked and then mashed sweet potatoes
  • 1/4 cup quinoa flakes
  • 1 tbsp parsley (fresh or paste)
  • 1/4 -1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 – 2 tbsp coconut oil for sautΓ©ing
  • Spinach, radicchio for the salad – as much as you like, you can also take other leaves :-)
  • Pomegranate seeds for decoration
  • Tahini dressing: 1 tbsp tahini paste, 2 tbsp water, 3 tbsp lemon juice, 1/2 tbsp soy sauce, salt & pepper to taste

Preparation

• Mix the mashed sweet potatoes, quinoa flakes, parsley and salt to get a “dough”, then form about 1/2 inch thick and finger long tater tots
  • In a pan heat up the coconut oil and then fry the tater tots on all sides, until golden brown and crispy on the outside
  • Wash the salad if needed, mix together the dressing
  • Pour the dressing over the salad, decorate with some pomegranate seeds for additional color! πŸ˜‰
  • Serve salad with the tater tots

Sweet-Potato-Tater-Tots-1

Sweet-Potato-Tater-Tots-3 Sweet-Potato-Tater-Tots-4 Sweet-Potato-Tater-Tots-5 Sweet-Potato-Tater-Tots-6

Another recipe that is also great to use left-overs is to make “fritters”, for example these Zucchini-Quinoa Fritters for which you can use left-over zucchini – or basically any other vegetable that is either fast cooking or pre-cooked!

Zucchini-Fritters-2-ws

Comments

1. birgerbird says

Very happy to have found your blog and this recipe. We adore sweet potatoes but I have fallen into rut of simply roasting 5 per week and splitting 1 per day for my husband and me to eat along with our breakfast. I have seen many recipes for fries, purees, gratins, etc, but never tots! And we love warm things on top of salads . . . . the tahini dressing hit it out of the ballpark for me because it is our favorite type dressing. Before i learned to make it at home I was spending so much money on Annie’s Goddess dressing which is tahini based and delicious. Look forward to making this soon!

• Sylvia @superfoodista.com says

Thanks so much for your lovely comment and visit to my blog! πŸ˜‰ I’m happy you liked it so far! Wow, you eat sweet potatoes for breakfast? just as they are or you out something on them, season them? It’s really great you are starting your day with this amazing superfood! πŸ˜‰
      And yes, tahini dressing is just something soooo amazing! And so easy to make. I personally just discovered the tahini paste myself not so long ago, I bought some to make hummus and then got the idea of using it for dressing too. love the nutty taste it gives! πŸ˜‰ hugs

2. styledmaven says

Hi Sylvia, I tried your yummy tater tots on Sunday. They are yummy bundles! I didn’t have parsley so I substituted it for cilantro. Thanks again for sharing :)

• Sylvia @superfoodista.com says

Thank you so much! So happy to hear you made the tots and they were good! πŸ˜‰ Yumm, with cilantro sounds perfect – I am a big fan of anything with cilantro, must try this combination as well some day πŸ˜‰

3. Johnny Hepburn says

That’s really good to know about the quinoa flakes. Unfortunately, I haven’t seen them for sale over here. Certainly not where I live. Will keep an eye out for them, as I love this recipe for the tater tots. Which is something I’ve ever heard off!

• Sylvia @superfoodista.com says

Hi Johnny, thank you so much! πŸ˜‰ I hope you will find those quinoa flakes somewhere, maybe i a health food store? I also only came across them since moving to the US. By the way, my recipe is really a super free-style tater tots recipe. The “real thing” probably gets made a bit differently, I am not sure. However, the end product tasted similar like the tots I had in restaurants, just less fatty as not fried πŸ˜‰ Thanks for stopping by!

4. Fae's Twist & Tango says

You and I are totally crazy about Sweet Potatoes! I used to eat them a lot in Japan. It was easy to plant them and was a nutritional food during the war and after, especially for the people of lesser means. Now it is a novelty snack food. When I was a 2nd or 3rd grader in the Japanese elementary school, one of our field trips was to go and help the farmers dig out their sweet potato crops. In return, we each got 1 Kg of sweet potatoes to take home. You see why I appreciate them. πŸ˜€

• Sylvia @superfoodista.com says

Wow, thank you so much Fae, loved to hear your personal story about your experience with sweet potatoes while growing up in Japan. It is indeed wonderful nutritional food and it’s true now it’s even much hyped in the Western cuisine, it has pretty taken over the place of the white potatoes in more trendy places. I am glad they are so easy to get here in the US, in Europe they were more of a rarity! πŸ˜‰

5. stacilys says

Ummmmm, I love sweet potatoes. They are very different here though. Did you try them when you were here. Very different. I love the ones in North America. I swear, next time I’m in Canada I’m going to get my fill. Maybe I should try this with a sweet squash. What do you think?
    Blessings sweetie =)

• Sylvia @superfoodista.com says

Hi Staci, thanks so much for your lovely comment as always! πŸ˜‰ I never had a cooked sweet potato in Brazil, just in a puree and I agree, they tasted different, but I don’t recall why anymore, I must try them again when I am there next time!
      Yes, I think squash could work, the butternut one, it has quite a dry consistency, like potato, I think it would work! πŸ˜‰ And you do still have the quinoa flakes? The ones everyone went to buy at the stores when people learned they are so healthy? πŸ˜‰
      Thanks for stopping by and your kind comment! hugs, Sylvia

6. confusedbawarchis says

Sylvia, we just made these and they were great. Since we didn’t have quinoa flakes we used bread crumbs and added in some green chillies & basil. They were so good! Thanks for a great recipe

• Sylvia @superfoodista.com says

Thank you so much Angie for this very kind comment! Oh, you must use a lot of sweet potato!! :-) They are soooo good and very good for you too! :-) Let me know if you try the recipe and how you liked it! It’s actually also a perfect Fiesta Food – lol! :-)

7. eatpraybake says

I love sweet potatoes too, and these look so delicious! Brilliant idea to substitute tater tots with sweet potatoes :) Would it be the same to use regular cooked quinoa in place of the quinoa flakes?

• Sylvia @superfoodista.com says

Thank you so much for your kind comment! :-) Well, I used the quinoa flakes, because they work almost like a “binder”, but you could for example add any type of flour (just add less than you would add quinoa flakes, in order not to make it too dry), I think it would help. Or just use the sweet potatoes, just flip them a bit more carefully, as the pieces will be a bit more delicate.
      The cooked quinoa is less sticky, so I am not sure if they would help for the consistency, but I can imagine they would taste super yummy! :-) I also heard someone make quinoa flour by just blending the quinoa grains – maybe you can try that if you have them at hand? she toasted them before though. let me know for version you decided for and hopefully it will turn out to your liking! :-)

• Sylvia @superfoodista.com says

Thank you so much for your kind comment! :-) Hm, I would say, maybe any flour? It would have some binding consistency? I would just add a bit less than indicated for the quinoa flakes. Or you can actually try it without too, it might be a bit less “stable”, but in essence should work too? I am actually not even sure what the original tater tots recipe is, maybe they use only sweet potatoes… πŸ˜‰
      Thanks for stopping by and your interest!