So I need to tell you: I LOVE anything baked with lemon. Oh yes, lemon cake for example, is the best thing ever, especially, when it’s moist, tangy and sweet at the same time – sooooo good! A few weeks back, I came across a recipe for a flour-less lemon-almond cake – and was intrigued. I also happened to have some almond meal (or flour) at home, so I gave it a try, adding some more healthy twists to the original recipe – especially replacing the refined sugar with coconut palm sugar and reducing the amount of eggs used.
I have started to use coconut palm sugar or other natural sweeteners whenever I can – and have eliminated refined, white sugar completely from my pantry about 4 months ago. At that time, I also happened to come across a great post on the blog Lexi’s clean kitchen. It was indeed an eye opener!!
As you can see, sugar has many names and according to Lexi, the real healthy alternatives are organic raw or local honey, organic coconut palm sugar, stevia, and organic pure maple syrup – therefore those are the only sweeteners I am trying to use moving forward, nothing else (except stevia, not so much a fan of its taste).
I would also consider some agave nectar now and then, as I have also heard good things about it, and it’s a vegan product, so I use it whenever I am making something vegan. And of course natural sweetness coming from fruit is also great, like from bananas. Well, if you have any other insights into sugars, please share, I would love to learn more, as I am by no means a nutrition expert or so 😉
Anyways, back to the cake! This refined sugar-free and gluten-free cake contains following Superfood:
- 2 flax eggs (= 2 tbsp ground flax seeds, 6 tbsp water)
- 2 eggs (if you are vegan, replace these 2 with flax eggs as well, should work)
- 2 lemons, their grated zest
- 1/2 cup palm sugar (the healthy alternative to refined, white sugar)
- 1/4 lemon, the freshly squeezed juice (squeeze it after you grated off the zest!)
- 1 1/2 cup almond flour (or also called almond meal)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp powdered sugar (for decoration only – leave out if you want to completely avoid refined sugar)
- Separate the egg yolk and the egg white
- Whisk together the egg yolks, flax egg, lemon zest, lemon juice and palm sugar, until you get a nicely mixed consistency
- In another bowl mix the cardamom, almond flour and baking powder, carefully add the liquid mix with egg yolks, lemon and sugar to it
- Now take the egg whites and beat them until you get foam, carefully add the vinegar and salt and beat a bit more
- Carefully fold the egg white into the dough
- Put into the round form (I used one with about 10 in resp. 25 cm diameter)
- Bake at 350°F (= 180°C) for about 30 minutes (use a wooden stick to check if it’s done or not)
- Let it cool down, then dust with the powder sugar (optional)
This cake is darker than a “normal” lemon cake would be, this because I used palm sugar which is really dark. But since it’s so much better for you, I think it’s a small trade-off. Enjoy with your favorite cup of tea or coffee! 😉