Hello there! Wow, I can’t believe it’s almost Christmas!! 4 more days to go – I hope you are all ready and set, with all gifts purchased, Christmas tree bought, etc.? Well, one important part of the Christmas preparations for me was always to bake cookies. We would help my mother when we were little and as I got older, I would bake them with my girlfriends – for my parents and the rest of the family.
While traditional Christmas cookie recipes are usually quite unhealthy – my favorite ones as a child were “Mailänderli”, a typical Swiss Christmas cookie with lots of butter, white flour and sugar – I decided to check online for some healthy cookie recipes this year. I found this amazing link to 25 healthier and vegan cookie recipes – see image below for a small preview 😉
One of them specifically caught my eye, just because of the cutest presentation too! I decided to make the Raw Pistaccio cookies from Nadia Petrova’s blog the Nature insider – amazing blog by the way!
These cookies contain coconut as Superfood.
- 1 1/2 cup pistachio (the original recipe called for raw pistaccio, but since I couldn’t find any raw ones, I used (unsalted!) roasted ones instead – worked too! It’s just not a raw cookie anymore tough)
- 2 tbsp coconut flakes unsweetened
- 2 tbsp ground golden flax seeds (I made this modification to the original recipe to make the dough a bit more easier to handle, it was a bit too liquid without)
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/3 cup agave (or honey if you are not a vegan)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Blend the pistachio into flour (use a strong blender, nutribullet, for example)
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well, if the “dough” is too liquid to form a roll, put briefly into the freezer, so the coconut oil can harden, then form a roll, like a “sausage” – or add additional ground flax seed to get a dough-like consistency where you can form a roll with your hands
- Put into the freezer for about 1 hour, then cut into thin slices
- Arrange like a Christmas tree, decorate with more coconut flakes and pomegranate seeds (my tree doesn’t look as pretty as the original and it’s also not the same lovely light green, because my pistachio was already roasted and not raw, but nevertheless, not bad 😉 )
In case you are looking for more healthier Christmas treats, the fantastic Celeste from the blog Honk if you’re vegan just posted about Top 10 Vegan Christmas Candy Recipes. It’s a really fantastic list and worth to check out!