Tofu Satay with Cilantro Quinoa

I have made turkey or chicken satay skewers before (see for example this older recipe for turkey satay), but a couple of months back – actually for my birthday party – I made some tofu satay skewers for my vegetarian friend who also came to the party. They turned out so good, I decided to make them again, but now more as part of a dish, not finger food.

Also, since embarking on the superfood journey, I have also started to eat less meat and even go vegan whenever possible. The grains I have been adding to my diet (like quinoa) provide a lot of great plant-based protein. And I really like how I feel overall by eating much less meat and dairy – and all the interesting food alternatives I have been discovering ever since, for example cashew “cheese”, etc. – but ok, that will be a topic for another post πŸ˜‰ This one, is a vegetarian version of a Satay – and most importantly, it comes with a Superfood side!

This recipe is inspired by the Thai and Indonesian cuisine, where Satay is very popular. The important and signature part of this dish is in fact the peanut sauce, the so-called Satay sauce.

This dish contains following Superfoods:

• Quinoa
  • Pomegranate

Ingredients:

• 1 Block of extra firm tofu (makes about 12 skewers)
  • Marinade for the skewers: 1/8 of a 14oz can of coconut milk, mixed with 1 -2 tbsp curry powder, some salt and pepper
  • Cooked quinoa (I mixed white and red quinoa to make it look prettier :-) )
  • A handful of fresh coriander
  • 1 lime
  • Salt & pepper to taste
  • Peanut satay sauce: the rest of the coconut milk from the can, 4 tbsp peanut butter, 1/2 handful of roasted, crushed peanuts, 1/2 tbsp red curry paste, 1 – 2 tbsp curry powder, salt, pepper, some coconut palm sugar (or any other sweetener)
  • Pomegranate seeds

Preparation:

• Cook the quinoa as per instruction (I usually use the double amount of water than quinoa)
  • Cut the tofu into 12 equal, long pieces, pierce them with a BBQ stick
  • Dip the skewers in the marinade, let sit for about 30 minutes or even overnight if you have the time
  • In the meantime, prepare the sauce: heat the coconut milk, add the peanut butter, crushed peanut butter, red curry paste, curry powder and mix well, season with salt, pepper and the sweetener until you have a delicious, creamy and sweet peanut sauce
  • In a pan, heat some olive oil, then fry the skewers until they are nicely brown, they will also get softer, very yummy!
  • When the quinoa is done, mix with some salt, chopped coriander and the freshly squeezed lime juice from 1 lime
  • Put the quinoa on a plate, add the skewers and top them off with some satay sauce
  • Decorate the plate with the pomegranate seeds
  • This is an Indonesian and Thai dish with a Superfood twist! πŸ˜‰ (and it’s gluten-free and vegan too!)

Tofu-Skewers-ws Tofu-Skewers-marinating-ws Tofu-Skewers-marinated-ws Tofu-Sate-with-Cilantro-Quinoa-1-ws Tofu-Sate-with-Cilantro-Quinoa-2-ws Tofu-Sate-with-Cilantro-Quinoa-3-ws Tofu-Sate-with-Cilantro-Quinoa-4-ws

Comments

• Sylvia @superfoodista.com says

Thank you so much Andre! Yes, I “invented” these for my vegetarian friend and realized that they are actually really tasty. I am not a vegetarian, but definitely try to eat less meat and this really works! Thanks for stopping by!

1. stacilys says

Ummmmmm. This looks sooooo good. And I am so happy cause I just learned that I can make my own tofu. I can not find it anywhere here. Will have to try this soon. =)

• superfoodista says

Thank you so much! πŸ˜‰ Wow, you make the tofu yourself?? How? Do you have a recipe? I would love to learn that! Oh, I can imagine it’s not easy to find tofu in a smaller town in Brazil – everyone loves to ear meat there! πŸ˜‰
      Thanks so much for stopping by! hugs, Sylvia

• stacilys says

Hey Sylvia, so sorry it’s taken me so long to respond. I am traveling at the moment and the internet connection has not been the best.
        Ya, I could not believe that I could make my own tofu. I actually just found out from my daughter’s pre school teacher. I haven’t actually made it yet, but once I get back home I’m going to give it a try (together with your recipe =)). My daughter’s teacher was suppose to call me to give me her recipe, but hasn’t yet. I may just google it. I’ll let youknow how it turns out. And yes, Brazilians looooove their meat. Have you heard of the famous ‘churrasco’? I’m sure you have. Blessings.

• superfoodista says

No worries at all! πŸ˜‰ Great, can’t wait to see it when you have time to share πŸ˜‰
          Yes, I have been to several Churrasco events! It’s amazing, how the meat gets passed around, like potato chips in Switzerland (where I grew up) πŸ˜‰ As I knew BBQ, everyone would sit down and eat their own piece of meat. But it’s such a nice experience, very representative of the Brazilian culture, the sharing, etc. Hope you have safe travels!

2. lapetitepaniere says

Hello Sylvia, I bought “quinoa”, for the first time. I was very surprised by how good the quinoa was with the “taboule”. Thanks :)
    Next time I’ll probably try “the tofu” :)
    Have a Superfoodista week-end πŸ˜‰

• superfoodista says

Oh wow, this is so nice to hear that you liked the quinoa and it also worked for you with the taboule! I bet you make great taboule! πŸ˜‰ You know, it makes me so happy every time I hear when one of my recipes gets made – so thank you so much! Have a lovely day and thanks for stopping by! hugs, Sylvia

3. Hannah (BitterSweet) says

That color alone looks fantastic, and gives me a good idea of just how flavorful these skewers must be. I’m sure I would be able to convince my entire omnivorous family to give them a try, too! Besides, it’s hard to go wrong with the fun of eating any food on a stick, right?

• superfoodista says

Dear Hannah! Yes, I think even omnivores love them. In fact, my boyfriend is quite some a meat lover – and he actually told me how amazing these were, when he tried them at the party. I made these tofu skewers actually specifically for my vegetarian friends (I made chicken for everyone else), but he ended up eating quite some of them πŸ˜‰ So yes, I think it could work! Let me know if you try it and how everyone liked it πŸ˜‰ hugs, Sylvia