I have made turkey or chicken satay skewers before (see for example this older recipe for turkey satay), but a couple of months back – actually for my birthday party – I made some tofu satay skewers for my vegetarian friend who also came to the party. They turned out so good, I decided to make them again, but now more as part of a dish, not finger food.
Also, since embarking on the superfood journey, I have also started to eat less meat and even go vegan whenever possible. The grains I have been adding to my diet (like quinoa) provide a lot of great plant-based protein. And I really like how I feel overall by eating much less meat and dairy – and all the interesting food alternatives I have been discovering ever since, for example cashew “cheese”, etc. – but ok, that will be a topic for another post 😉 This one, is a vegetarian version of a Satay – and most importantly, it comes with a Superfood side!
This recipe is inspired by the Thai and Indonesian cuisine, where Satay is very popular. The important and signature part of this dish is in fact the peanut sauce, the so-called Satay sauce.
This dish contains following Superfoods:
- 1 Block of extra firm tofu (makes about 12 skewers)
- Marinade for the skewers: 1/8 of a 14oz can of coconut milk, mixed with 1 -2 tbsp curry powder, some salt and pepper
- Cooked quinoa (I mixed white and red quinoa to make it look prettier )
- A handful of fresh coriander
- 1 lime
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Peanut satay sauce: the rest of the coconut milk from the can, 4 tbsp peanut butter, 1/2 handful of roasted, crushed peanuts, 1/2 tbsp red curry paste, 1 – 2 tbsp curry powder, salt, pepper, some coconut palm sugar (or any other sweetener)
- Pomegranate seeds
- Cook the quinoa as per instruction (I usually use the double amount of water than quinoa)
- Cut the tofu into 12 equal, long pieces, pierce them with a BBQ stick
- Dip the skewers in the marinade, let sit for about 30 minutes or even overnight if you have the time
- In the meantime, prepare the sauce: heat the coconut milk, add the peanut butter, crushed peanut butter, red curry paste, curry powder and mix well, season with salt, pepper and the sweetener until you have a delicious, creamy and sweet peanut sauce
- In a pan, heat some olive oil, then fry the skewers until they are nicely brown, they will also get softer, very yummy!
- When the quinoa is done, mix with some salt, chopped coriander and the freshly squeezed lime juice from 1 lime
- Put the quinoa on a plate, add the skewers and top them off with some satay sauce
- Decorate the plate with the pomegranate seeds
- This is an Indonesian and Thai dish with a Superfood twist! 😉 (and it’s gluten-free and vegan too!)
- Satay Sauce. (theveganhousemate.wordpress.com)
- Chicken Satays (legacychiropracticnc.wordpress.com)
- Chicken satay (vietnamnews.vn)
- Tofu Satay Skewers with a Spicy Peanut Dipping Sauce (healthwealthandbaby.com)