Home-made Vitamin Waters

Hi everyone, I hope you all started the new week well!

So something we should always remember (besides eating healthy superfoods on a regular basis 😉 ) is to stay hydrated throughout the day. Even though this might seem rather like a recipe for the summer, I think it’s also quite useful for the winter months too, because usually then the air is drier and especially in closed and heated rooms, air humidity is quite low.

I got inspired to make these waters by various posts I saw on instagram and my lovely friend, the gmo-free girl. She states some really good points about why you should make your own Vitamin water and how the store-bought ones are really full of chemicals.  In addition, these home-flavored waters are also great for everyone who thinks plain water is boring and has trouble drinking enough of it. Drinking enough water is so important for our overall health and that all organs function properly. See this table for more information about how much water you should drink and why drinking enough water is important and good for you:

water

I personally don’t have issues drinking enough water, I love it, and I get naturally thirsty if I don’t drink regularly, I guess it just became a habit. And honestly, when I don’t drink enough, my lips get totally dry and my metabolism slows down. So I make sure to always have a glass or bottle of water close to me.

Anyways, about these vitamin waters: I just wanted to make them, because I was curious how they would taste and because they looked so pretty. Yes, that was probably the main reason. They look soooo pretty! And I wanted to take a picture of them! Hahha…I hope you don’t find that weird 😉

These waters are super easy to make and you can choose the combinations of fruits and herbs you like most.

Ingredients:

• Fresh water
  • Herbs and fruits of your choice
  • Recommended combinations are for example: lemon & strawberries, lime & mint, cucumber & ginger, berries
Berry-Water-ws

Berry Water

Cucumber-Ginger-Water-ws

Cucumber-Ginger Water

Lemon-Strawberry-Water-ws

Lemon-Strawberry Water

Lime-Mint-Water-ws

Lime-Mint Water

There is really no limit to your fantasy or preference, just try it out! I personally found that the citrus fruits gave a really nice flavor very soon they were added to the water. For the berries it took a bit longer. I left a jar with lemon & strawberries standing over night and in the morning it had a really strong flavor – amazing! And the water had turned colorful too 😉

Enjoy & let me know what you think of these home-made flavored waters. Thanks 😉

Vitamin-Water-5-ws Vitamin-Water-2-ws

Vitamin-Water-3-ws Vitamin-Water-1-ws

These were stored over night in the fridge: The water absorbed the fruits even more:

Vitamin-Water-6-ws Vitamin-Water-4-ws

Comments

1. cookazido says

You’re right, these are so pretty! This is such a great idea. With it being so pretty, it would make me want to drink it more. Thank you for sharing, Sylvia!

2. BuddhasMenu says

Oh my gosh! You must have read my thoughts. Just last night I was thinking about doing the same thing and post a blog about hydration with different essence waters. Beautiful job!

3. ohlidia says

I love this idea! And how right you are about staying hydrated over the winter. My skin, lips and hair are much drier these days. And those drinks look beautiful!

• superfoodista says

Thank you so much! 😉 Yes, the first thing I feel when I don’t drink enough are my dry lips! Happy you liked the idea 😉 Let me know if you try it and how you liked it 😉 hugs & thanks again for stopping by, Sylvia

4. Tammi says

Love your pictures – so beautiful with the matching straws. I get so busy that i just forget to drink water. My body always tells me when I need it, but it’s like binge drinking, only healthy. lol. With fruit in my water, no problem :) Great post!

• superfoodista says

Thanks dear Tammi! I was inspired by your beautiful pics, actually many weeks back, just never had time to post this 😉 Yes, it totally helps to drink more and enough water! big hug, Sylvia

5. Fae's Twist & Tango says

Learned from a friend, I make these ‘vitamin-waters’ (called them flavored water, but I like your term better) especially when I have company. Also to further enhance the drinks with aroma (or just plain water for that matter), just a-drop-or-two (or to taste) of ‘orange blossom water’ (sold at Middle-Eastern markets) per pitcher do wonders.

• superfoodista says

Thank you so much Fae! 😉 Oh, wow, this orange blossom water sounds amazing!! I can imagine it tastes wonderful. I will search for this. I have found rose water in a shop, maybe they sell this too! 😉 Thanks for stopping by today my dear, Sylvia

6. Laura says

I usually dint have trouble getting enough water unless it’s a long run day. Then I feel like I drink all day and never have enough – really I just need to mix up the flavors, so this recipe is great!

• superfoodista says

Yes, I can imagine, you need to drink enough especially when you work out. Do you add something though when you train, because we also loose lots of salts when we sweat, etc.? I have heard of home-made gatorade-type drinks (without the artificial stuff inside) – do you know this? 😉 Thanks so much for stopping by today dear! 😉