Quinoa flakes and banana pancakes

Another really awesome side effect of being on a journey to become a Superfoodie is all the many cool ingredients I have been discovering over the past weeks and months. I especially love to wander around a Wholefoods store for example – it’s my Happy Place! Yeah, maybe I’m a weird girl as I don’t care so much for diamond rings. A basket of exotic Superfoods would make me actually much happier – good for my boyfriend’s bank account I guess! πŸ˜‰

Quinoa-Flakes-ws

Anyways, so this other cool discovery I am talking about were Quinoa flakes. They are not that well known as the Quinoa grains, but they are made from the same grain, just cut. The great thing about them is that they cook much faster! Due to this fact, I made an experiment and tried to make pancakes with them. I based them off my Quinoa pancakes recipe, but with some tweaks. And I also made them vegan this time.

These pancakes contain following Superfoods:

• Quinoa
  • Flaxseeds

Ingredients: (for about 8 small pancakes, 2 portions)

• 1 cup Quinoa flakes
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2/3 cup almond milk
  • 1 flax egg (= 3 tbsp water mixed with 1 tbsp ground flax seeds, let sit for about 5 minutes until thick)
  • 1 banana
  • 2 tbsp cacao nibs or shredded coconut (optional – Β I tried both of them on two different days; I found that the cacao nibs distracted a bit from the the beautiful harmony of banana and quinoa taste – but for chocolate chip lovers they might be a nice addition πŸ˜‰ – the coconut flakes in my opinion were perfect!)
  • 1 – 2 tbsp coconut oil to bake the pancakes

Preparation:

• Prepare the flax egg, let stand a bit while you mix the other ingredients
  • Mix the dry ingredients: quinoa flakes, baking powder and salt
  • In another bowl, mash the banana, add the vanilla extract, almond milk, the flax egg and if you use them, the cacao nibs
  • Now add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, mix carefully
  • In a pan, heat the coconut oil, add the pancake mix, the pancakes should be about 1/2 inch (1 cm) high
  • You need to bake these about 3 minutes on each side, you’ll see that the flakes will also start to “sprout” like when you cook quinoa grains
  • Stack the pancakes on a plate and serve with some berry sauce – I made some fresh cranberry sauce (= heat fresh cranberries, little water and agave in a pan, cook until cranberries pop – you’ll actually hear them pop :-) )

This is a super healthy and protein rich breakfast! The pancakes are not like your usual pancakes, although they turned out really fluffy and nice, their consistency is maybe closer to a patty due to the quinoa flakes. But they get a really nice, crispy crust…yum, so good! :-)

Enjoy your Sunday!

Quinoa-flakes-pancake-dough-ws Quinoa-flakes-pancakes-baking-ws

Quinoa-flakes-pancakes-1-ws Quinoa-flakes-pancakes-2-ws Quinoa-flakes-pancakes-3-ws

These were the ones with coconut inside instead of cacao nibs. Also added a different berry sauce. Delicious! πŸ˜‰

Comments

1. Jennifer says

Just wanted to say thanks for this, I make this recipe so often! (And so does my sister.) And I have done many variations on them, including savoury ones. Today’s version included bits of hot chorizo sausage, onion, smoked gouda cheese, onion and a bit of salsa (about the same amount as a mashed banana). Fresh herbs, onion and feta are also a favourite.

2. julie says

Tried these this morning and I love them! I added cacao nibs and a bit of pumpkin pie spice and was blown away by how good they were. The texture is perfect!

3. stacilys says

Ummmmm sounds good. I live in a smallish city in north-east Brazil where everybody knows where everything is. There are two stores that sell bulk grains, herbs, spices, etc. I first learned about quinoa flakes there. Unfortunately, there was a report that was on TV about the benefits of Quinoa and then, all of a sudden, everybody in the city was buying it and it doubled in price. Boohoo. thanks for the great recipe.

• superfoodista says

Thank you so much, I am glad you liked the recipe! πŸ˜‰ I remember you live in Brazil, in Bahia state, right? Funny story, but also oh no too! I hope despite the price hike it’s not too crazy to buy quinoa flakes from time to time. I really love quinoa flakes, they are so versatile. They also work great for super easy and fast porridge πŸ˜‰ hugs & thanks for stopping by!! Sylvia

• stacilys says

You are very welcome. Yeah, I love the protein content in quinoa flakes. I’ve used them as a porridge before. I would make a porridge with a combination of quinoa, oats and ground flax. Mix it with some chopped apple, cinnamon, stevia and a little vanilla and you have a yummy apple pie porridge. blessings. Oh yes, in Bahia. The city of Vitoria da Conquista. =)

4. Laura says

I could probably buy a diamond ring with the amount of money I spent at Whole Foods this year! Guess it’s good the nearest one is five hours away now! These pancakes look good and healthy!

• superfoodista says

Lol! Laura, you are right…visits at wholefoods are really dangerous! I always end up buying much more than I wanted and it’s not cheap!! πŸ˜‰ I have one just a few blocks away, but I try not to go too often πŸ˜‰ But when I go….
      Thanks so much for stopping by! Yes, they are really delicious, a bit different consistency than a “regular” pancake, but they have a nice crust. Let me know if you try them! hugs, Sylvia

• superfoodista says

Thank you for stopping by! πŸ˜‰ Yes, I also just found them by coincidence! They are really yummy and cook so fast. Also perfect for a healthy, protein-rich and gluten-free porridge! hugs, Sylvia

• superfoodista says

Thank you so much Fae! Humbles me when you say that as for me YOU are the pro in the kitchen! πŸ˜‰ I am also learning, every day – there are so many amazing ingredients (superfoods) to try out there. My newest purchase is a bag of wheatgrass powder…need to find an application for that. Thanks again for stopping by. hugs, Sylvia