Today I want to introduce you to a new breakfast routine I have adapted since I have embarked on the Superfood journey: Overnight oats & Chia bowls. They are super easy to make, you can prepare them the night before and then just quickly finalize them in the morning. It didn’t take me more than 10 minutes to prepare any of these. I have noticed that since I have been eating these that my digestion is so much better (due to the great fiber content provided by the chia seeds and oats!), my energy level is great (due to the chia seeds and cacao) and I can easily survive the whole morning in the office without getting hungry before lunch time.
The principle for the cups is simple:
- Soak some oats (about 3 – 4 tbsp) and chia seeds (about 1 – 2 tbsp) in some almond or coconut milk (or a mix of the two)
- Cover with thin foil and keep in the fridge overnight, the oats and chia seeds will expand and get nice and soft
- In the morning make a smoothie with the fruits of your choice, for example bananas, strawberries or blueberries – or mix whatever fruits you like!
- Pour the smoothie over the overnight oats & chia, garnish if you like, with some fruits, shredded coconut or cacao nibs
- You can also sweeten if needed (recommend for the combinations with more “sour” fruits, such as kiwi), with agave nectar or honey
- Another great idea is to add some tbsp of cacao powder to the oats & chia – gives the mix a nice chocolaty flavor, without the guilt!! On the contrary, cacao is actually really super healthy!
Here some images as inspiration from my Instagram account:
Plain overnight oats & chia with strawberry smoothie, topped with kiwi and goji berries:
Plain overnight oats & chia with blueberry-banana smoothie, topped with shredded coconut and pomegranate:
Cacao overnight oats & chia with banana smoothie, topped with shredded coconut and frozen blueberries:
Cacao overnight oats & chia with banana smoothie, topped with banana and strawberry:
Plain overnight oats & chia with strawberry smoothie, topped with shredded coconut and pomegranate:
Plain overnight oats & chia with kiwi smoothie, topped with raspberries and pomegranate:
You can also vary, for example, only have a oat & chia mix, but add a bit more coconut/ almond milk in the morning:
Or have it without smoothie, jus with fruit. For this one, I just layered in some Açai as well:
Hope this was an inspiring idea for you! Please let me know in case you try them for one of your next breakfasts! 😉 Or do you already make them? What is your preparation method?