Thai Fried Rice is probably one of the most popular dishes coming out of Thailand. And I noticed it was also usually the safe choice for tourists traveling in Thailand, when all the other dishes sounded too scary or were way too spicy. And yes, I can relate to Thai food being really spicy! But this dish is definitely very mild and tasty – and in this adapted version it also contains Superfood!
This dish contains 4 kinds of Superfoods:
- Brown Rice
- Fresh pineapple, cut in small cubes (from the can also works, but fresh is more tasty and has no added sugar)
- Tomatoes, cut into small cubes
- Carrots cut into really small cubes
- Peas (frozen, already heated up in microwave)
- Red onion (shallots), cut into small pieces
- Spring onion or scallions
- Brown Rice
- Quinoa (here I chose to mix white and black Quinoa to make it look more interesting)
- 1 tbsp ketchup
- 1 – 2 tbsp soy sauce (depending on taste)
If you like, you can also add turkey (also a Superfood!), shrimp or any other protein. In this example, I added some crab sticks, cut into small dices.
- Heat olive oil in a pan, then add all the ingredients – except the Quinoa and the rice (we will add these in the end, if we add in the beginning, they will become too mushy)
- Add soy sauce and ketchup, let simmer until all ingredients are tender and cooked
- Now add the rice and quinoa and season to taste with some pepper and other spices you like
Serve with some fresh cucumber and lime on the side. Carefully place a sunny-side up egg on top of it.
Tip: It’s nice to squeeze the lime over the rice, gives it a really fresh taste! Enjoy!